House No. 1
We are proud to be the first Bed & Breakfast in Haines, Alaska! Started in 1981 as the Fort Seward B&B, House No. 1 has provided a home base for travelers from around the world.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, House No. 1 on Officer's Row of Fort Wm. H. Seward served as the Chief Surgeon's house, with the hospital just down the hill. This former command post is a proud example of Jeffersonian architecture, and the only single home on the Row (the rest are duplexes).
Fort Wm. H. Seward was established in 1904 by the US Army to define the border with Canada. Many officers' houses were prefabricated and shipped to Haines, but our beloved House No. 1 was constructed right here on the spot.
In 1947, five East Coast families (World War II veterans, artists and their children) purchased the whole of the Fort Seward, site unseen, and adventurously journeyed to their new home. Many members of the families are still here, continuing to produce and support an array of local creative endeavors.